1. How do you frighten political strongmen? Teach journalism.
By Thomas Fiedler in the Conversation
2. Far from policing free will, taxes on sugary drinks make sense in the context of subsidies for corn syrup and the Medicaid and Medicare expense of 29 million Americans with diabetes.
By Kenneth Davis and Ronald Tamler in the Huffington Post
3. Palm oil production has a devastating impact on the environment, but smart science and better farming could reduce the harm.
By Michael Kodas in Ensia
4. We shouldn’t let Ebola panic squelch civil liberties.
By Erwin Chemerinsky in the Orange County Register
5. What we learn from video games: Giving military robots controls like “Call of Duty” could save lives on the (real) battlefield.
By Patrick Tucker in Defense One
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space