U.S. basketball player Brittney Griner was lightly injured in Shenyang, China on Monday after a knife-wielding man attacked her and two teammates as they were boarding a team bus.
“The guy was clearly either mentally ill or very drunk,” she told Associated Press. “It was pretty clear he had no idea who we were.”
Luckily, the injury was minor as Griner was able to go on to post 19 points in her Beijing team’s victory over Liaoning, China’s Xinhua News reported.
The star, who won this year’s WNBA title with the Phoenix Mercury, and is on the U.S. national team, is playing in China during off-season.
Griner assured everyone she was okay via her Instagram account after the incident, and called the cut on her elbow a “little scratch.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating