No one’s surprised that actress Lea DeLaria, who’s as outspoken as her Orange Is the New Black character Big Boo, decided to take a stand against a homophobic preacher in a New York subway car.
“This is not why America’s in trouble,” said DeLaria, a trailblazing, openly gay stand-up comic before OITNB, in response to the man’s rant against gay people. “Religious fanatics are the reason America’s in trouble… You are the reason America’s in trouble.”
The preacher didn’t seem to be fazed by DeLaria, but he was no match to DeLaria’s loud, non-stop rebuttals. “This is not Sodom and Gomorrah,” she said, speaking over him. “Even Sodom and Gomorrah is not Sodom and Gomorrah.”
When the man finally exited the train, DeLaria shook her head and said,”Thank God,” as people applauded. “And notice I thanked God,” she quipped.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate