No one’s surprised that actress Lea DeLaria, who’s as outspoken as her Orange Is the New Black character Big Boo, decided to take a stand against a homophobic preacher in a New York subway car.
“This is not why America’s in trouble,” said DeLaria, a trailblazing, openly gay stand-up comic before OITNB, in response to the man’s rant against gay people. “Religious fanatics are the reason America’s in trouble… You are the reason America’s in trouble.”
The preacher didn’t seem to be fazed by DeLaria, but he was no match to DeLaria’s loud, non-stop rebuttals. “This is not Sodom and Gomorrah,” she said, speaking over him. “Even Sodom and Gomorrah is not Sodom and Gomorrah.”
When the man finally exited the train, DeLaria shook her head and said,”Thank God,” as people applauded. “And notice I thanked God,” she quipped.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World