At age 17, most people’s proudest accomplishments include a few junior varsity soccer championships or maybe a 5 on the AP World History exam. Lorde’s accomplishments at age 17 include two Grammys and a platinum-certified debut album — not to mention curating the soundtrack to the newest Hunger Games installment.
If that’s not enough to make you feel unaccomplished, then listen to Lorde’s gorgeous cover of the Kings of Leon hit “Use Somebody” from when she was just 12 years old. Back then, she was an Auckland resident named Ella Yelich-O’Connor who dropped by a local radio station to play a few songs. And, yeah, she was really good — and surprisingly emotive for such a young person.
Though this audio has been floating around the Internet for a while now, the version of “Use Somebody” is beginning to resurface again this week. We’re totally cool with that.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.