Sir Ray Avery, entrepreneur and author of Rebel With A Cause, says it’s as easy as counting your days.
He’s 65. So he’s “got about 5,625 days to live.” Then he just works backward to plan.
Mind-blowingly simple yet it makes so much sense.
9 minutes in to his famous Stanford commencement speech Steve Jobs discussed the importance he placed on thinking about death during life:
And scientists agree he’s on to something. Thinking about death really does help us prioritize and be better people.
Candy Chang gave an inspirational TED talk about a project that asked people to finish the sentence: “Before I die I want to…”
I’d love to write more but I’ve got less than 20,000 days left. So much to do…
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 130,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out