It’s official: Pee-wee Herman is coming back to theaters.
After years of speculation, comedian Paul Reubens confirmed Wednesday on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that another Pee-wee Herman movie is in development. Judd Apatow will produce and a director has been hired, though Reubens did not say who that is.
The return of the much-loved man-child character comes more than 20 years after the release of Big Top Pee-wee in 1988, a sequel to the children’s classic Pee-wee’s Big Adventure. Reubens briefly retreated from public view after he was arrested in an indecent-exposure scandal in 1991, but speculation about a new Pee-wee film has been rampant for years.
Reubens said production of the film will begin in February.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time