The local-news business is often full of bizarre stories. TIME’s coverage of community goings-on deemed to be worthy of national note — a practice that was generally more common in the magazine’s earlier days — is no exception. The magazine has told the stories of babies born with full beards, women who made bathing suits out of ostrich plumes and gator-wrestling feats gone wrong.
When Halloween comes around, those stories can cross from the bizarre to the downright terrifying.
The following item appeared in the pages of the Sept. 30, 1957, issue of TIME — along with a completely inappropriately tongue-in-cheek headline. It is, in all seriousness, probably the spookiest Halloween story in the magazine’s history. Read at your own risk.
Good luck with your nightmares.
Read about the modern — and much safer — haunted house industry, here in TIME’s archives: You Can’t Scare America
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far