For the first time in 156 years, Macy’s department store will take its iconic red star overseas, launching its first foreign branch in an upscale shopping center in Abu Dhabi.
The shopping center will also host the world’s second overseas Bloomingdales, according to the property developers backing the project, Gulf Related and Al Tayer Group. Associated Press reports that the shopping center will be located on Al Maryah Island, a booming construction zone which has been slated to be the city’s central business district.
The center’s grand opening is scheduled for spring 2018, and the first sale (presumably) shortly thereafter.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow