Beware of this chair, for at first glance it might seem ordinary, but once light casts its shadow, a shadowy demon presents itself! ‘Coppelius Chair’ by designer Yaara Dekel is a piece of furniture that will not only scare you, but also make you think. It delves into Sigmund Freud’s concept of ‘the uncanny,’ that is to say, something as familiar as a chair can give off feelings of unfamiliarity at the same time.
One moment, you’re looking at a chair, the next it’s a menacing face – but still the same chair!
“However, at a certain hour of the day, when the room is lit, an inexplicable, monstrous projection appears, which symbolically ‘overshadows’ the feelings the original chair provokes,” as DesignBoom describes it.
(via Design Boom)
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time