Apple unveiled a new iMac with a 27-inch Retina 5K display Thursday, packs a record-breaking 14.7 million pixels — or roughly seven times as many pixels as a typical modern HDTV.
The display measures 5mm thick and will include a number of performance enhancements, including higher contrast ratios, displaying blacker blacks and brighter whites, and a 30% reduction in energy consumption by the LED backlight. The display runs on a new timing controlling chip, built in-house by Apple, to direct the movement of millions of pixels across the screen.
Apple’s iMac with Retina Display will sell for $2,499.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time