If you think really hard, all the way back to 2001, you might remember Afroman’s hit song “Because I Got High,” which basically outlined the rapid nosedive your life will take if you ingest too much cannabis. First, this song explained, you’ll blow off small tasks like cleaning your room, and then you’ll be missing bigger responsibilities like class and work. As things continue to escalate, you’ll soon start missing court appearances, blowing off child support payments and, eventually, just messing up your entire life. All because you got high.
But 13 years later, the rapper is back to recant that message. He partnered with Weedmaps (considered the “Yelp of weed dispensaries”) and Norml (a marijuana reform nonprofit) to put a pro-legalization spin on the classic tune. Now, Afroman is telling us all about the benefits of ganj. Smoking it helps with everything from glaucoma to anxiety attacks, he explains, and legalizing it would help the economy.
Also, if this video is to be believed, smoking weed also means you get to ride around Los Angeles on a couch with wheels, which is definitely the biggest selling point.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve