Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew will undergo outpatient surgery to treat a benign enlarged prostate on Tuesday and will be recovering for around a week.
The 58-year-old, one of President Barack Obama’s top officials, will have the procedure in New York and expects to remain at his home convalescing, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“His physician expects that he will be able to return to his full schedule next week,” says Treasury spokeswoman Natalie Wyeth Earnest.
Lew has been instrumental in helping craft sanctions against Russia over its recent annexation of Crimea.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow