Correction appended, October 7, 2014
Nickelback doesn’t have any shows scheduled in London right now, and if one man gets his way, the much-maligned band will never have any shows in London again.
Inspired by a recent Tilt campaign, that brought the Foo Fighters to Charlottesville, VA for a previously unscheduled gig, Craig Mandell has created a Tilt crowd-funding campaign to prevent Nickelback from returning to his city.
The campaign, titled “Don’t Let Nickel Back,” hopes to discourage the Canadian band from playing in London through a barrage of emails. For every $1 donated to the cause, Mandell will send one email to Nickelback. A $5 donation gets you a “slightly more forceful email” while a $50 contribution “will result in an email to Nickleback with an attached mp3 of Nickelback’s music. This way, the band will hear their own music, and likely retire immediately, thereby ensuring the success of our campaign.”
“Just imagine, thousands – perhaps tens of thousands of music lovers – all not witnessing an exclusive concert by Nickelback in London,” wrote Mandell. “It will be glorious.”
Mandell states on the page that the campaign is not for his own profit. “All proceeds will go to charity,” the site says. “Or perhaps therapy for those who’ve been affected by the band.”
The original version of this story misidentified the crowd-funding platform. It was Tilt.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now