The Coast Guard rescued a disoriented man in a hydro pod bubble 70 nautical miles east of St. Augustine, Florida early Saturday morning.
Reza Baluchi, a U.S. citizen, was found in an inflatable bubble, disoriented and asking for directions to Bermuda, the Coast Guard said. He was carrying protein bars, bottled water, a GPS and a satellite phone.
The Coast Guard asked Baluchi to end his voyage due to the lack of supplies on his vessel, but Blauchi refused. Baluchi was monitored until he activated his Personal Locating Beacon on Saturday morning and the Coast Guard dispatched vessels and helicopter crews to his position to rescue him.
Baluchi was uninjured.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction