The damsel in distress is one of Hollywood’s best-known (and most sexist) cliches, and the folks over at Huffington Post noticed one little phrase most commonly associated with that role: “Let her go.” Male protagonists utter these words, often in a low, even voice paired with a determined stare, to get the bad guy to free the beautiful lady. This is often followed by a frantic kiss and then a firefight and maybe a small to midsize explosion.
They put together the above supercut to show just how often heroes say this phrase, featuring scenes from movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and Men in Black. The full list of movies is here.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow