Lorde’s contribution to the soundtrack she curated for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 is here. In a statement posted on Tumblr, the 17-year old singer —Ella Yelich-O’Connor — wrote, “It’s my first offering from what I hope will be a soundtrack you love. It’s my attempt at getting inside her head, Katniss’. I hope you like it.”
In the track, Lorde sings: “I’m a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm/ And the scars that mark my body, they’re silver and gold.” The lyrics, paired with the dusky and lilting tone of the song, show off Lorde’s skill at crafting a character that combines Katniss Everdeen’s toughness with her own gothic overtones; it’s cut in the same darkly grooving vein as her LP Pure Heroine.
Like so many other teenage girls, Lorde also took to Tumblr to post some thoughts on her journey into the dark heart of superstardom and her work on curating The Hunger Games: Mockingjay —Part 1 soundtrack:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 soundtrack is out 11/18 on Republic. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 opens in theaters on November 21st.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working