Monday’s Premiere Props Hollywood Auction Extravaganza XIII has some impressive items: a sword from Kill Bill, a gorilla mask from Planet of the Apes, the Riddler’s hat from Batman Forever. These films would have been different without these pieces; some films are so connected to their props, they become symbols for the movie.
And so cinephiles clamor to get their hands on these objects that embody their favorite movies and are willing to pay a fortune to get them. $200,000 for a small metal tube, $78,000 for a suit of clothes: if it graced the silver screen, it’s worth more than gold.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism