Disney’s stage musical version of The Lion King has grossed more than $6.2 billion worldwide, according to a new report, making it the biggest box office hit of any work in any medium of all time.
The Lion King musical, directed by Julie Taymor and based off the animated Disney movie, has raked in more than any Harry Potter film, any Hunger Games movie, or Frozen. Avatar, which is the highest-grossing movie in history, has made less than half of what The Lion King musical has made, at $2.8 billion worldwide gross. The Associated Press reports that the Lion King musical eclipsed The Phantom of the Opera, the previous highest-grossing work, late this summer.
The Phantom of the Opera, with a box office gross of about $6 billion, is still the longest-running show of all time since debuting in London in 1986.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future