Disney’s stage musical version of The Lion King has grossed more than $6.2 billion worldwide, according to a new report, making it the biggest box office hit of any work in any medium of all time.
The Lion King musical, directed by Julie Taymor and based off the animated Disney movie, has raked in more than any Harry Potter film, any Hunger Games movie, or Frozen. Avatar, which is the highest-grossing movie in history, has made less than half of what The Lion King musical has made, at $2.8 billion worldwide gross. The Associated Press reports that the Lion King musical eclipsed The Phantom of the Opera, the previous highest-grossing work, late this summer.
The Phantom of the Opera, with a box office gross of about $6 billion, is still the longest-running show of all time since debuting in London in 1986.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time