Millions of people in Scotland have begun voting in Thursday’s referendum to answer the question: “Should Scotland become an independent country?”
The result will be announced Friday morning local time. Here’s TIME’s pick of the best photos from this momentous occasion in British history.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving