In the latest gift from the Internet, YouTube user Robert Jones mashed up Orange is the New Black with The Golden Girls to make an entirely enjoyable new viral video, perfect for watching with friend and a slice of cheesecake. Speaking of which, there’s little doubt that the inmates at Litchfield Penitentiary would have some great conversations over a cheesecake, especially one with cigarettes or a file baked into it.
To make the video, Jones replaced the Orange is the New Black theme song (Regina Spektor’s “You’ve Got Time”) with Andrew Gold’s “Thank You For Being A Friend,” and the song swap magically transforms the smartly dark prison drama into a screwball jail comedy, which is not a genre that has been explored in-depth.
The combination of the ’80s comedy and the Netflix show is fodder for the imagination, and hopefully some great fanfic will come out of the mash-up—think of the trouble Sophia and Red could get up to.
Thank you for being a friend, Internet.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization