Correction appended 5:02 p.m. ET
This photograph of Benedict Cumberbatch posed as Pride and Prejudice’s Mr. Darcy is a literal act of charity.
The Sherlock star recreated Colin Firth’s iconic scene of Darcy in the lake (from the BBC’s 1995 television adaptation of the novel), as a part of the Give Up Clothes For Good campaign by Cancer Research UK and clothing store TK Maxx.
It’s also an act of charity for ogling fans — although we’re not quite sure what we did to deserve it.
In case you needed to remember the original scene of Colin Firth playing a very wet Fitzwilliam Darcy, we’ve provided video footage below:
The original version of this story incorrectly stated the first name of the Jane Austen character played by Colin Firth in the 1995 BBC miniseries. It is Fitzwilliam.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time