Jennifer Hudson‘s ongoing flirtation with the dance floor continues. After supplying the satisfyingly slick “Dangerous” several weeks ago, the American Idol alum returns today with “He Ain’t Going Nowhere,” another strut-friendly, nostalgic cut from her forthcoming LP JHUD, due out on September 23.
Crafted by Pharrell, the sass-filled disco ditty packs dirty bass licks and sparkling synths, recalling many of the producer’s nu-disco revival gems released over the past few years, (including the bulk of Madonna’s Hard Candy, Miley Cyrus’ “On My Own” and Kylie Minogue’s “I Was Gonna Cancel”). Later on, Aussie rapper and Song of the Summer ’14 supplier Iggy Azalea comes in over the beat with a spitfire verse for arguably one of her stronger assists to date: “See, I know your weak spot so I always go there/And I bet that’s the reason he ain’t goin’ nowhere,” she taunts.
“[Pharrell and I] were able to use music and soul to actively reminisce on those fantasy nights of the ’60s and ’70s,” Hudson said of the track to Buzzfeed. “We really worked to keep the sound relatable but the way the bass hits your chest and the guitar licks sort of tingle your ear really work well to transport you to a time in music history I just live for,”
It’s a catchy offering, although truthfully, Pharrell has supplied this sort of production time and time again. Rather, it’s J-Hud’s full-bodied, diva-sized vocal delivery that makes the song a standout. Listen up top.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement