A ferocious hurricane slammed an upscale Mexican resort early Monday with 125 mph winds and six months’ rain in just one hour.
Hurricane Odile is the strongest storm to ever hit Mexico’s southern Baja California peninsula. The Category 3 storm made a direct hit on Cabo San Lucas, a resort city popular with celebrities including George Clooney and Jennifer Aniston.
Alongside the region’s gleaming megaresorts are tiny fishing villages with flimsy homes, and Mexican authorities evacuated coastal areas and readied shelters for up to 30,000 people.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now