Updated at 2:15 p.m. EST.
Police in East Lansing, Mich. are searching for a suspect in the shooting of two students inside their apartment near Michigan State University Friday night.
One of the students died Saturday morning from multiple gunshot wounds, and the other was treated and released, the East Lansing Police Department said, according to the Associated Press. The shooting “does not appear to be a random act,” police said.
The shooting occurred at 8:45 p.m. Friday at the Cedar Village apartment complex, less than a mile from the Michigan State Campus, local police said in a Facebook post Saturday morning.
This story was updated to include the latest details about the shooting, including the death of one of the students.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.