Updated at 2:15 p.m. EST.
Police in East Lansing, Mich. are searching for a suspect in the shooting of two students inside their apartment near Michigan State University Friday night.
One of the students died Saturday morning from multiple gunshot wounds, and the other was treated and released, the East Lansing Police Department said, according to the Associated Press. The shooting “does not appear to be a random act,” police said.
The shooting occurred at 8:45 p.m. Friday at the Cedar Village apartment complex, less than a mile from the Michigan State Campus, local police said in a Facebook post Saturday morning.
This story was updated to include the latest details about the shooting, including the death of one of the students.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- AI Is as Risky as Pandemics and Nuclear War, Top CEOs Say
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction