Two kindergarteners were killed and 30 more were struck ill by rat poison at a school in China this week, authorities said.
It’s unclear how the poison was ingested Wednesday at Jiajia Kindgergarten, a school in the Pinglong village of rural Qiubei County, but no evidence of foul play has been found, the Associated Press reports.
The food served had been tested and found safe to eat. The two fatal victims, four- and five-year-old girls, died after medical treatment failed, according to state news agency Xinhua. Six children remain hospitalized.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time