A Utah teacher was injured after her concealed weapon accidentally fired in the bathroom and caused a toilet to explode.
Michelle Ferguson-Montgomery, who teaches sixth grade at Westbrook Elementary School in Taylorsville, Utah, was in good condition on Thursday after she was hit by stray bullet and toilet fragments during the incident, according to a spokesperson for the Granite School District, the Associated Press reports.
Officials initially thought Ferguson-Montgomery, who carried the gun legally under a concealed-weapon permit, shot herself, but now it is believed to have been an accident. The state of Utah allows gun owners with concealed-weapon permits to have their gun on public school grounds, and the Granite School District requires the permitted weapons to always be on the permit-holder’s body, though teachers do not have to disclose that they are packing heat.
The AP was unable to reach Ferguson-Montgomery for comment.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time