The wife of disgraced NFL star Ray Rice defended her husband Tuesday after his suspension from the league for beating her unconscious, criticizing the media and the NFL for creating “a horrible nightmare” in her family’s life.
Janay Rice, whose beating by her husband was captured on a TMZ video leaked Monday, took to her Instagram to describe the pain of reliving a “moment in our lives that we regret every day.” The running back was cut from the Ravens following the release of the video, and he received an indefinite suspension from the NFL.
Her full statement reads:
Although Janay’s account was since been made private, a screenshot of the message has been circulating on Twitter:
Janay’s support of her husband and decision to stay in the marriage has garnered significant media attention. Thousands of women have since created a powerful hashtag called #WhyIStayed, explaining why women often remain in abusive relationships.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time