Today’s Google Doodle celebrates the 186th birthday of legendary Russian author Leo Tolstoy.
“Guest Doodler” Roman Muradov illustrated a click-through animation depicting the thousand-plus page masterpieces the author wrote by candlelight.
Featured work includes War and Peace:
and The Death of Ivan Ilyich:
“I hardly need to say that making a tribute to Leo Tolstoy was a daunting task,” Muradov writes in an explainer post for Google. “No set of images can sum up a body of work so astonishing in scope, complexity, and vigor–its memorable scenes come to life with seeming effortlessness, fully realized in the immortal lines and between them.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement