Drew Carey, Donnie Wahlberg, Montel Williams and Jenny McCarthy have offered to kick into a Cleveland-area effort to bring justice to a local 14-year-old who was the victim of a vicious Ice Bucket Challenge prank.
Carey, The Price is Right host, offered to donate $10,000 a local Ohio police department in a series of tweets on Saturday, in response to news that a group of teens had reportedly dumped urine and other excrement on an autistic 14-year-old who thought he was participating in the viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
On Sunday, McCarthy,Wahlberg, and Williams also offered to donate to the effort.
In a lengthy Facebook post, talk show host Williams said that “quite frankly, the parents of the kids who did this out to go to jail too.”
The Bay Village police department, near Cleveland, said it’s working with the school district to investigate the incident and bring charges as quickly as possible.
It’s unclear whether or not the police department is taking donations to aide in the investigation, but a news release suggests donations can be made to the family of the victim through a representative. The police department also said it’s hoping the “collective community anger” over the incident will lead to support for organizations like Autism Speaks. On Sunday, Carey tweeted that he may be working with a site like Kickstarter or Go-FundMe to raise more money given the response to his tweets.
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction