Drew Carey, Donnie Wahlberg, Montel Williams and Jenny McCarthy have offered to kick into a Cleveland-area effort to bring justice to a local 14-year-old who was the victim of a vicious Ice Bucket Challenge prank.
Carey, The Price is Right host, offered to donate $10,000 a local Ohio police department in a series of tweets on Saturday, in response to news that a group of teens had reportedly dumped urine and other excrement on an autistic 14-year-old who thought he was participating in the viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
On Sunday, McCarthy,Wahlberg, and Williams also offered to donate to the effort.
In a lengthy Facebook post, talk show host Williams said that “quite frankly, the parents of the kids who did this out to go to jail too.”
It’s unclear whether or not the police department is taking donations to aide in the investigation, but a news release suggests donations can be made to the family of the victim through a representative. The police department also said it’s hoping the “collective community anger” over the incident will lead to support for organizations like Autism Speaks. On Sunday, Carey tweeted that he may be working with a site like Kickstarter or Go-FundMe to raise more money given the response to his tweets.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com