This video reveals the emotional moment when a seven-week-old baby hears his parents’ voices for the first time after getting hearing aids.
Diagnosed with moderate-to-severe hearing loss in both ears at birth, the little boy named Lachlan looks unhappy to have something shoved into his ear canal. But when his mother and father, Michelle and Toby Lever of Victoria, Australia, start talking to him, his eyes widen and a giant smile spreads across his face.
While this YouTube video is dated August 31, 2014, the moment happened back in July 2012, and is just starting to go viral now. A Facebook video that mom Michelle Lever posted on November 18, 2012, now boasts nearly 300,000 “likes” and has been shared 440,000 times.
Lachlan, now two years old, has worked with therapists at Taralye “the oral language centre for deaf children,” in Blackburn Victoria. Michelle Lever told Daily Mail Australia that she hopes the video, by going viral, will reassure parents in similar situations: “I want them to realise that there is a lot of support and help available to them.”
WATCH: Boy Hears His Dad’s Voice for First Time
MORE: Science Gave My Son the Gift of Sound
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now