The Prostate Cancer Foundation returned all money donated via a post on the website Reddit that was designed to make a joke about leaked naked images of Jennifer Lawrence and a slew of other famous women hacked from the women’s Apple iCloud accounts.
“We would never condone raising funds for cancer research in this manner. Out of respect for everyone involved and in keeping with our own standards, we are returning all donations that resulted from this post,” the foundation said in a statement Tuesday.
The pictures began making the rounds online on Sunday, after a host of celebrities’ personal Apple iCloud accounts were compromised. A Reddit user suggested Monday in a thread on the site that fellow Redditors who had viewed nude images of celebrities donate to prostate-cancer research in Lawrence’s honor. The crux of the intended joke is that Lawrence has supported fighting prostate cancer “in the past” because masturbation may help prevent the disease.
The fundraising drive raised more than $6,000 before it was shut down by the foundation.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears