Congress is currently 81.5% male. Based on the accelerating rate of growth since 1917, when Montana’s Jeannette Rankin became the first elected female Representative, women are projected to hold half of Congress in 31 years.
SOURCES: CENTER FOR AMERICAN WOMEN AND POLITICS AT RUTGERS UNIVERSITY; INSTITUTE FOR WOMEN’S POLICY RESEARCH
WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A JOB?
Competition. The average number of résumés received for a corporate job opening is 250.
HOW MANY GUNS ARE THERE IN THE U.S.?
As many as 310 million, according to one estimate.
SHOULD WE LEARN SPANISH?
¡Sí! The U.S. will have up to 41 million Spanish speakers by 2020.
IS THE GLASS CEILING GONE?
No. This year, only 24 of the Fortune 500 companies had a female CEO.
HOW HARD WILL IT BE TO FIND FLIGHT MH 370?
Very. Maps of Mars are about 250 times as accurate as maps of the search area.
WHEN WILL WE GO TO MARS?
The Dutch non-profit Mars One is planning to send people to Mars in 2024.
IS ADDERALL A GATEWAY DRUG?
Yes. A college student abusing Adderall is eight times as likely to do cocaine.
SOURCES: ERE.NET; CONGRESSIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE; CENSUS.GOV; FORTUNE; WALL STREET JOURNAL; MARS ONE; SAMHSA
This appears in the September 08, 2014 issue of TIME.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption