Congress is currently 81.5% male. Based on the accelerating rate of growth since 1917, when Montana’s Jeannette Rankin became the first elected female Representative, women are projected to hold half of Congress in 31 years.
SOURCES: CENTER FOR AMERICAN WOMEN AND POLITICS AT RUTGERS UNIVERSITY; INSTITUTE FOR WOMEN’S POLICY RESEARCH
WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A JOB?
Competition. The average number of résumés received for a corporate job opening is 250.
HOW MANY GUNS ARE THERE IN THE U.S.?
As many as 310 million, according to one estimate.
SHOULD WE LEARN SPANISH?
¡Sí! The U.S. will have up to 41 million Spanish speakers by 2020.
IS THE GLASS CEILING GONE?
No. This year, only 24 of the Fortune 500 companies had a female CEO.
HOW HARD WILL IT BE TO FIND FLIGHT MH 370?
Very. Maps of Mars are about 250 times as accurate as maps of the search area.
WHEN WILL WE GO TO MARS?
The Dutch non-profit Mars One is planning to send people to Mars in 2024.
IS ADDERALL A GATEWAY DRUG?
Yes. A college student abusing Adderall is eight times as likely to do cocaine.
SOURCES: ERE.NET; CONGRESSIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE; CENSUS.GOV; FORTUNE; WALL STREET JOURNAL; MARS ONE; SAMHSA
This appears in the September 08, 2014 issue of TIME.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer