This article contains spoilers. Click here to reveal them.
1) SAT, READING
As Dong Kingman developed as a painter, he vacated from the tradition of landscape painting in a number of ways, most notably in that he chose to focus not on natural landscapes but on cities.
Relating to the underlined word above, which term makes the most sense in this context?
• A no change
• B departed
• C evacuated
• D retired
2) SAT, ALGEBRA
Based on the system of equations above, what is the value of the product xy?
• A ½
• B ¼
• C –3/2
• D 11/9
3) OXFORD, SLANG
Can you unpack each of these abbreviations?
4) TEEN JEOPARDY!, HISTORY
The battles of Shiloh and Collierville were fought in this state.
5) CALIFORNIA DMV, DRIVING
Roadways are the most slippery …
• A during a heavy downpour
• B after it has been raining for a while
• C during the first rain after a dry spell
6) PARCC COMMON CORE ASSESSMENT, POETRY
In Daedalus and Icarus, what do the lines “he turned his mind to arts unknown/ and nature unrevealed” imply about Daedalus and his invention?
• A that his invention will bring him wealth and fame
• B that his invention will be something beyond common understanding
• C that the primary motive for his invention is revenge
• D that he is nervous about the success of his invention
7) VOCABULARY.COM, LANGUAGE
Where would you most likely find comestibles?
• A in a grocery store
• B at a recycling plant
• C in an office-supply store
• D on a works-cited page
8) NATIONAL ACADEMIC QUIZ TOURNAMENTS, ART HISTORY
This artist created a gray-and-black portrait of Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler and multiple seated portraits of the artist’s lover Dora Maar. His Portrait of Suzanne Bloch dates from the same era as his painting of an elderly street musician. In a 1937 mural, he showed a severed arm holding a broken sword and a dead child held by a screaming woman. Name this Spanish painter of The Old Guitarist and Guernica.
9) SMARTER BALANCED COMMON CORE, GEOMETRY
The surface area of the earth is 5.1 × 108 sq km, and 71% of the earth’s surface is covered in water. The diameter of the moon is 3,475 km, and there is no water on the surface of the moon. Which has more dry land, the earth or the moon?
10) WE HEART IT SOCIAL NETWORK SURVEY, SOCIAL INTELLIGENCE
According to responses from teenagers, which of the following is often true for teen girls using social media?
• A One wants to be following more people than are following them
• B There is no such thing as too much hashtagging
• C Photos that don’t get enough Likes should be removed
• D Captions don’t matter; just pictures
• E All of the above
11) EMOJI TRACKER, TECH
This emoji often means which of the following?
• A Let me help you with that
• B I have attitude, and I feel fine about it
• C Dance it out
• D Raise the roof
During what decade was the concept of being a teenager popularized in the U.S.?
[ANSWERS (Hover to Reveal)]
3) In case you missed it, Shaking my head, What do you think, You only live once;
4) What is Tennessee?;
8) Pablo Picasso;
11) B; BONUS) 1940s. After the Depression the notion of the teens as a distinct life stage took off; LIFE ran a feature on “the teen age” in 1944.
FOR A GRAPHIC, GO TO TIME.COM/ANSWERSOXYGENBAG
This appears in the September 08, 2014 issue of TIME.
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma