After she won Video of the Year for “Wrecking Ball” at the 2014 VMAs, Miley Cyrus opted not to walk onto the stage to accept her trophy — but rather, she sent someone in her place: Cyrus had a homeless youth accept the award for her.
While Jimmy Fallon held the microphone, the young man named Jesse explained how those watching could donate to My Friend’s Place, a homeless center for young people in Hollywood, while Cyrus wept watching in the audience.
Miley explained further on her Facebook page:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief