This is how you open an awards show with bang (bang): Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Jessie J kicked off the 2014 Video Music Awards with a medley of their summer hits: “Break Free,” “Anaconda” and “Bang Bang.”
This is also how you manage an apparent costume-change failure with grace: Nicki Minaj looked like she struggled to get into her next outfit when she returned for her “Bang Bang” rap clutching her dress for dear life.
The last time this many divas opened the show, there was some lip-locking involved. But barring Nicki Minaj’s near-wardrobe malfunction, the opening medley was surprisingly low on stunts— not even the reported snakes made an appearance! — just some intergalactic outfits, a few hair flips and plenty of powerful pipes on display.
Watch the entire performance here.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time