It’s quite an ass-essment: the music video website Vevo has announced that Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda” got 19.6 million views in a day, setting a new record for the most views in 24 hours. The previous record, 12.3 million, was held by Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball.”
— Vevo (@Vevo) August 22, 2014
WE BROKE THE RECORD BABY!!!!! Anaconda Video 19.6 million views in 24 hrs!!!! :) http://t.co/BT47m7bbiM
— Nicki Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) August 22, 2014
As The Wrap points out, this isn’t Minaj’s first Vevo record: “The rapper previously set Vevo’s most-watched record, twice — her collaboration with Justin Bieber for “Beauty and a Beat” received 10.6 million views in October 2012, and “Stupid Hoe” got 4.8 million viewers in January 2012.”
Minaj will be performing “Anaconda” at MTV’s Video Music Awards on Sunday, August 24 — and if the reports are true, Minaj and Cyrus could be sitting next to each other at the event, so now they’ll have something to talk about. That said, it could get real awkward real quick — especially in light of Cyrus’s spoof of the “Anaconda” cover art.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time