An ESPN reporter’s response after Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant thanked God for his team’s victory over the Miami Heat on Wednesday has drawn harsh criticism from the Twitter-sphere.
After the Thunder beat the Heat, ESPN reporter Doris Burke asked Durant about his particularly strong play of late. Wednesday night marked the 12th consecutive game in which Durant scored more than 30 points.
“Thank God, that’s all I can say. Jesus Christ,” Durant said.
Burke laughed. “You didn’t have nothing to do with it?”
“No. It’s all Him,” Durant said.
Some Twitter users responded with outrage and sometimes vitriol, many taking offense at Burke’s perceived scoff at the notion that an NBA player would credit God for his prowess. Some even called for the reporter to lose her job over the incident.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time