If you head to Google’s homepage today, you’ll be treated to an animated video featuring meteors darting across a beautiful, clear night sky. The animation celebrates the Perseid Meteor Shower, which happens every year in August. (Heads up, stargazers: It peaks tonight.)
Past doodles have honored this celestial show, but this year’s is more detailed and stunning. Google created it to “encourage users to learn more about this fantastic celestial event,” doodler Sophie Diao explains in a blog post. She said that for this animation, which is more ambient and serene than other doodles, she was inspired by long drives, trips to national parks, and that feeling of being in the middle of nowhere.
Diao says that she ultimately hope the doodle inspires people to step away from their computers, get outside and watch the meteor shower for real.
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far