Don and Maxine Simpson, a couple from Bakersfield, Calif., married a mere few months after meeting in 1952, and their love story carried on for 62 years. The husband and wife duo rarely spent time apart. The end of both spouses’ lives was no exception.
In a scene out of the movie The Notebook, the couple both passed away within four hours of one another and at each others side.
Maxine had been battling cancer all this year, and Don had broken his hip two weeks prior to his passing. The Simpsons leave behind two children and multiple grandchildren.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out