A 3-year-old girl from Colorado is in critical condition after a 5-year-old boy shot her with a gun that was left unattended by the mother’s boyfriend, say Pueblo police.
According to a police statement, the handgun was found by a 9-year-old boy in a home outside of Colorado Springs on Monday. Police say he then gave it to the 5-year-old boy in the backyard, who proceeded to point it at the girl and pull the trigger.
Police asked the 9-year-old boy learned how he learned to “manipulate” the gun, and he apparently told them he “learned it from video games like Black Ops.” The boyfriend of the victim’s mother, 22-year-old Adrian Chavez, fled the scene after the incident but was later taken into custody.
The girl was shot once and the bullet entered and exited her body without breaking any bones. As of Monday afternoon, she was listed in critical but stable condition.
The two boys will not be charged because of their age. However, Chavez will be charged with child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out