Syfy’s Shaknado 2: The Second One drew 3.9 million viewers Wednesday night, 183% more than the 1.4 million people who tuned into the original in July 2013, according to Nielsen ratings.
The campy action/comedy scored a 1.3 rating among viewers under 50, tripling its 0.4 rating from last year. It also took a bite out of its competition, CBS’ Halle Berry drama Extant and Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance, which both scored lower ratings.
Nielsen also found that Sharknado 2 topped Nielsen’s Twitter TV ratings Daily Top Five list with 581,000 tweets.
A third Sharknado movie is already in the works for summer 2015.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving