Chicago police say one man died and another is in critical condition after an apparent murder-suicide attempt in a downtown high-rise building.
Officer Jose Estrada, a spokesperson for the Chicago Police Department, said police received a call around 9:50 a.m. local time about shots fired on the seventeenth floor of the building. The suspected shooter was pronounced dead on the scene from an apparently self-inflicted wound. Another man, aged 54, was hospitalized in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
Local media reports indicate that the shooting occurred at the Bank of America building in the West Loop area. Police are investigating the incident as a murder-suicide, according to Estrada.
According to the Associated Press, police say the suspected shooter was recently demoted and attacked his company’s CEO.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Noah Rayman at firstname.lastname@example.org