• MIT students created a 3-D printer for ice cream. It extrudes soft-serve instead of plastic.
• Kacy Catanzaro, a 5-ft.-tall former gymnast, became the first woman to complete the American Ninja Warrior course.
• Beyoncé leads this year’s MTV Video Music Awards nominations, and her clothes are getting a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exhibit.
• “The only thing that is artificial or fake about me is this!” –Aviva Drescher, chucking her prosthetic leg across the room on the Real Housewives of New York.
EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: LIVE-ACTION ELSA
Fans of ABC’s Once Upon a Time learned this spring that Elsa, Frozen’s ice queen, would be joining the show’s ensemble of fairy-tale characters–and now they can get their first look at actress Georgina Haig in the role, below, with Scott Michael Foster as Kristoff. Sparkly blue gown? Check. Long, blond braid? Check. Letting it go? We can only hope.
The number of likes Colombian pop star Shakira hit on Facebook recently–which corresponds to roughly 8% of the site’s total monthly active users. What makes Shakira, the first person ever to reach this milestone, the most “liked” woman in the world? Maybe it’s honesty. Her hips don’t lie, after all.
This summer, the Avatar actress goes back into orbit. In Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (out Aug. 1), Saldana, 36, plays the alien assassin turned hero Gamora. Before blasting off, she talks to TIME.
Do you want to go to space in real life?
No, it seems like I would have to do a lot of work up there. Every time I look at the news and I see astronauts, they never look comfy. They look happy but not comfy.
That’s a great point.
What makes me a little bitter is that I was born at this time, and 200 years from now I won’t be able to be out there.
How do you think the future will be, besides comfier?
We’re going to have the same problems that we have today, since we’ve had them since yesterday, but I think it’s going to get better.
Which future advancement do you wish you had now?
Are you kidding me?! I’d love to just stand on a thing and go “Energize!” and all of a sudden I’m in Vegas or Paris.
Guardians also looks to the past, at least when it comes to mixtapes. What was on the best mix you ever made?
Oh my God, I know there’s no way for me to ever find it, but I miss it. Whitney Houston. English music from the ’80s like “Don’t You Want Me.” Some Taylor Dayne, some Sam Cooke. It was perfect.
I hope you find it someday.
“ON MY RADAR
• Music by Kid Cudi
“I always have Kid Cudi on my playlist. Always.”
‘I’m not a shark, I’m a blowfish.’
KANYE WEST, on his relationship with the paparazzi, in an interview with GQ; West explained that he just wants to defend himself, not attack anybody
A Brief History of Tracksuits
The world’s most comfortable fashion statement is having a moment, thanks to Jenny Lewis’ new video for “Just One of the Guys,” which features Anne Hathaway and Kristen Stewart clowning around in beards and jewel-toned leisure wear. But don’t call it a comeback: everyone from Olympic athletes to mob bosses has sported zipped-up style in recent decades.
The pioneering rap trio wears three-stripe Adidas sets onstage and in their music videos
The boy band gives the world a questionable gift: a sleeveless take on the style
THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS
Ben Stiller plays a tightly wound financier who wears only bright red workout gear
The company introduces a velour version; Paris Hilton soon makes it her signature
The Fox show transforms Jane Lynch into Sue Sylvester with the help of a bullhorn and a tracksuit
His hat gets the attention, but the singer also gives a tracksuited edge to the Grammy red carpet
IN GOOD TASTE
Change comes to fruits and vegetables as they ripen and decay. Other things change too–like Dalston, a rapidly gentrifying East London neighborhood that’s home to Ridley Road Market. For his series Dalston Anatomy, Italian photographer Lorenzo Vitturi assembled items from the market in precarious sculptures and photographed them to make still lifes like Green Stripes #1, left, that allude to this change and the area’s “crazy aesthetic.” The work will be at the Photographers’ Gallery in London beginning Aug. 1.
• Britney Spears accidentally dined and dashed on a $30 meal at a Cheesecake Factory.
• Actor Archie Kao, 44, and actress Zhou Xun, 39, threw themselves a wedding onstage at a benefit in Hangzhou, China. Talk about PDA!
• The “original” copy of Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up,” a.k.a. the Rickroll video, was removed from YouTube.
• Our nightmares about a mysterious 100-ft.-wide hole in the ground that has appeared in Siberia.
FOR TIME’S COMPLETE FILM COVERAGE, VISIT time.com/movies
This appears in the August 04, 2014 issue of TIME.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer