After Eric Garner was killed on Staten Island while being arrested July 22, the footage of the incident quickly turned into a national debate over the use of force by police.
From Rodney King in the early 1990’s to Oscar Grant in 2009, examples of excessive force by officers caught on tape may have fallen by the wayside, were it not for their being captured on video.
The world of iPhones and Twitter have furthered the exposure of such incidents, which often call police behavior into question.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk