In The Art of Conversation: A Guided Tour of a Neglected Pleasure, Catherine Blyth gives some great tips on handling the subtle nuances of polite interaction.
Here are seven of my favorite bits:
How To Make Small Talk
How To Make A Solid Introduction
Mastering the art of conversation has to start somewhere, so you have to know how to begin. Here’s a solid formula.
How We Judge A Successful Conversation
How To Make A Conversation Progress
Great Conversationalists Listen More Than Talk
To help doctors be better listeners, their responses are graded from 1 to 6 with the “empathic communication coding system.”
The higher the number, the better.
Two Powerful Pieces Of Advice
- Hear what people are really saying as opposed to what they are telling you.
- Directness is a privilege of intimacy.
How To End A Conversation
There are a number of phrases that can politely signal the end of a chat.
I would love to continue with this post, but I wouldn’t want to keep you.
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time