Fans of the 1993 novel The Giver finally got a glimpse at the highly anticipated movie adaptation when a brief trailer premiered on the Today Show Wednesday.
The beloved story by Lois Lowry focuses on Jonas, who lives in a seemingly Utopian society, without war, pain, suffering or difference. Yet Jonah’s world is thrown upside down when he’s selected by the community to absorb the memories of the Giver, an elderly man who alone knows the true pain that life has to offer. The book has long been a YA favorite and there’s no doubt the movie adaptation will be a big event, with Brenton Thwaites playing Jonas and Jeff Bridges playing the Giver.
The brief trailer promises a film that’s packed with action and sinister revelations, with a voice-over from Meryl Streep (who stars as the Chief Elder) and ominous warnings from Bridges.
Also appearing in the trailer are Katie Holmes and Alexander Skarsgård as Jonas’s parents, and Odeya Rush as Jonas’s friend Fiona. And though Taylor Swift will play Rosemary in the film, she only appears for the briefest moment in the trailer. Sorry, T. Swift fans, you’ll just have to check out the film when it hits theaters in August.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement