“Hunger of the Pine,” the Miley Cyrus-sampling song from English trio alt-J, sounds like it was recorded in a submarine miles beneath the oceans’s surface, complete with sonar-like pulses. The brand-new music video, however, could just as easily belong in The Hunger Games‘ eerie new ad campaign. The man running through the forest is, understandably, not as prepared for outdoor death matches as Katniss is, given all the arrows he fails to outrun, but at least there’s another strong female heroine present — Miley Cyrus, whose “I’m a female rebel” line from her Bangerz track “4×4” is sampled throughout the song.
“I had a simple idea for a video and the wonderful director Nabil captured it perfectly,” frontman Joe Newmand tells TIME about the clip, which arrives ahead of the band’s upcoming sophomore album, This Is All Yours. As for the track itself, the band revealed last month to NPR that it’s about how “missing someone — pining — can be a physical pain much like hunger.” May the alts be ever in your favor.
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year