“Hunger of the Pine,” the Miley Cyrus-sampling song from English trio alt-J, sounds like it was recorded in a submarine miles beneath the oceans’s surface, complete with sonar-like pulses. The brand-new music video, however, could just as easily belong in The Hunger Games‘ eerie new ad campaign. The man running through the forest is, understandably, not as prepared for outdoor death matches as Katniss is, given all the arrows he fails to outrun, but at least there’s another strong female heroine present — Miley Cyrus, whose “I’m a female rebel” line from her Bangerz track “4×4” is sampled throughout the song.
“I had a simple idea for a video and the wonderful director Nabil captured it perfectly,” frontman Joe Newmand tells TIME about the clip, which arrives ahead of the band’s upcoming sophomore album, This Is All Yours. As for the track itself, the band revealed last month to NPR that it’s about how “missing someone — pining — can be a physical pain much like hunger.” May the alts be ever in your favor.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time