Here are the stories TIME is watching this Wednesday, July 16.
Immigration advocate and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas was released after being detained for attempting to fly without a valid U.S. visa.
Typhoon Rammasun battered the Philippines with driving rain and wind gusts of 115 mph before heading toward China.
A proposal to break California into six states drawn up by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper was submitted for the 2016 ballot, but don’t start adding stars to your flag — Congress is unlikely to approve.
And finally, Hillary Clinton appeared on The Daily Show and dropped tantalizing hints about her ’16 plans.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time