Here are the stories TIME is watching this Wednesday, July 16.
Immigration advocate and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas was released after being detained for attempting to fly without a valid U.S. visa.
Typhoon Rammasun battered the Philippines with driving rain and wind gusts of 115 mph before heading toward China.
A proposal to break California into six states drawn up by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper was submitted for the 2016 ballot, but don’t start adding stars to your flag — Congress is unlikely to approve.
And finally, Hillary Clinton appeared on The Daily Show and dropped tantalizing hints about her ’16 plans.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer