Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, July 14.
Israel warns Palestinians of impending attacks, but ignores the UN’s call for a ceasefire and continues to launch airstrikes against Hamas in Gaza — as rocket fire at Israel goes on almost unabated.
Citigroup settled with the Department of Justice for $7 billion over subprime mortgage deals that helped create the 2008 financial crisis.
Colorado and Washington may have legalized weed, but employers are still able to fire employees who light up in their spare time.
And finally, LeBron James made news twice in one weekend. After committing to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the basketball megastar filmed a streaker at the World Cup final and posted it to Instagram.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022