Feeling stuffed after that third hot dog? Imagine eating 61. That’s how many hot dogs (and buns!) Joey ‘Jaws’ Chestnut ate to keep his champion title at the annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island, New York.
There’s a new champion in town on the women’s side, though. Miki Sudo, a 28-year-old from Las Vegas, consumed 34 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to unseat three-time defending champion Sonya Thomas, also known as the “Black Widow.” Thomas fell more than six hot dogs short of the winner after eating a record 45 hot dogs last year.
Prior to the beginning of the event, which was broadcast live on ESPN, Chesnut proposed to his girlfriend, also a competitive eater.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization