Feeling stuffed after that third hot dog? Imagine eating 61. That’s how many hot dogs (and buns!) Joey ‘Jaws’ Chestnut ate to keep his champion title at the annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island, New York.
There’s a new champion in town on the women’s side, though. Miki Sudo, a 28-year-old from Las Vegas, consumed 34 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to unseat three-time defending champion Sonya Thomas, also known as the “Black Widow.” Thomas fell more than six hot dogs short of the winner after eating a record 45 hot dogs last year.
Prior to the beginning of the event, which was broadcast live on ESPN, Chesnut proposed to his girlfriend, also a competitive eater.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time